The Styrenes

The Styrenes

It’s Still Artastic

ROIR

There must be something odd in Cleveland’s Lake Erie that mutates normal middle Americans into twisted rock thugs. Rocket From the Tombs, Pere Ubu, and The Styrenes all sprang from a seemingly fertile scene in Cleveland in the 1970s, creating warped pop and rock and roll that was part Stooges and part space. The Tombs and Pere Ubu have garnered the most attention over the years, but with the release of It’s Still Artastic the world can make up for lost time and lavish praise upon perhaps the oddest of them all, The Styrenes. Largely the brainchild of Paul Marotta, this band has been recording music off and on since 1975, and this collection captures a healthy 27-song chunk of it.

What do you get for your buck? Well, any record that starts with “Drano in Your Veins” and includes a raw take on The Pagans’ “Eyes Of Satan” is strong stuff. Not easy listening, recorded crudely into whatever they had, Marotta and a ever-changing cast of fellow musicians (including drummer Anton Fier of The Golden Palominos, early on) press mightily toward a high standard that only they can truly understand, and in large part succeed. Some of it is basic to the point of pain — warbling vocals, indistinct instrumentation and lo-fi recording taken to levels that Robert Pollard and Guided By Voices would find unacceptable, but when it works, such as the bipolar soap opera “Back In Hell” or the garage rock thump of the later live material, there is a current of unflinching integrity and valor not often found in music. This is the sound of men who truly don’t give a damn. Freed from chasing the bright lights of fame and fortune, they (not so quietly) developed a unique and uncompromising vision, which will alienate 90% of those who stumble upon it. So be it. The other 10% of us know the truth — Cleveland rocks.

ROIR Records: http://www.roir-usa.com

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Recently on Ink 19...

  • Gary Wittner
    Gary Wittner

    Too Modern for Me. (Invisible Music Records) Review by Stacey Zering.

  • Willard Gayheart & Friends
    Willard Gayheart & Friends

    At Home in the Blue Ridge (Blue Hens Music). Review by Carl F. Gauze.

  • Alex McArtor
    Alex McArtor

    Touch/Are You Alone (Bigmac Records). Review by Stacey Zering.

  • Superstar
    Superstar

    Sex, drugs, adultery, murder and finally, redemption – it’s all intertwined in the tale of Trent Davis, the “star” of author Christopher Long‘s latest, Superstar.

  • Moloko Plus
    Moloko Plus

    Moloko Plus is a monthly experimental music event in Orlando, Florida.

  • General Magic
    General Magic

    General Magic invented the smart phone in 2002, but just couldn’t get it to market. That’s just how they rolled.

  • Blue October
    Blue October

    Alternative 90s rockers Blue October rolled into Central Florida for a two-night run at House of Blues, and Michelle Wilson was blown away.

  • Pahokee
    Pahokee

    Pahokee produces sugar cane and poverty, but some the brighter students might make it to the big time with a college degree and a new zip code.

  • Sumo Princess
    Sumo Princess

    When An Electric Storm. (Educational Recordings) Review by Bob Pomeroy.

  • Laura Valle
    Laura Valle

    Charismatic. Review by Stacey Zering.

From the Archives